Qualifying for Special Enrollment

Limited time only: New opportunity to enroll in a health plan

Are you paying a fee on your 2014 income filing for not having health coverage last year and still without health coverage? If so, you have a special enrollment opportunity right now through April 30th to get a plan. Enroll now and avoid paying the entire 2015 government fee on your income tax next year for not having a plan. Penalties will be going up to 2% of your yearly income or $325 per person next year, whichever is higher. Enroll now and avoid the fee. (You still may owe the fee for the few months you were uninsured this year). More good news! You may also qualify for financial assistance from the government to help lower the cost of your monthly bill.

To qualify for this special enrollment opportunity:

  • You must have filed your 2014 taxes and paid the fee for not having a health plan in 2014
  • You'll need to confirm that you found out about the fee while doing your taxes after Open Enrollment closed (February 15th)
  • You should not have already enrolled in a 2015 health plan, or enrolled and cancelled a 2015 health plan

Call us and we can help you enroll.

What other kinds of “life changes” qualify me to enroll before next year?

You may be eligible for the 60-day special enrollment period to get a new plan if:

  • You move to a new county
  • You get married or have a newly eligible domestic partner and/or dependent
  • You have a baby, adopt a child, or have a foster child placed with you
  • You are required to buy a health plan due to a court order (e.g., child support)
  • Your annual income increases to over 100% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) at some point during the year. For example, over $11,670 for an individual or over $23,850 for a family of 4. Note: if you were eligible for Medicaid, you would need to lose eligibility before you qualify to enroll in a health plan.
  • You lose your health coverage or will lose coverage due to job loss, a decrease in your work hours, your COBRA coverage expires, or other reasons
  • You are eligible for COBRA, but have not started the coverage
  • You were not legally present in the United States and you became a U.S. citizen, national, or otherwise lawfully present (i.e. Green Card, Visa)
  • Your income changes, or some other event changes your income or household status
  • You lose your coverage because you are no longer covered on a family member’s policy, you get divorced or legally separated from your spouse, or the policy holder has passed away

This list doesn’t include all qualifying life events and you may have a special situation. Talk to us to find out if your specific event qualifies and then we’ll help you enroll in a plan that best meets your needs and budget. You may be eligible to take advantage of this special enrollment opportunity right now.

How long do I have to enroll in a plan after a qualifying event?

It depends on the event, since some allow you to enroll in a plan 60 days before and some 60 days after the event. Call us and we’ll let you know, based on your individual situation.

Can I get help paying for my health plan if I qualify for a special enrollment?

Yes, the government may help pay for some or all of your premium. We can help you find out if you’re eligible for a government subsidy.


Beginning of Message Box

Talk to us today one-on-one for answers to your specific health insurance questions. Call the phone number on this site and we can explain your options and help you through your next steps.

End of Message Box


Go Back

Current Florida Blue Members

If you have one of our older, pre-Health Care Reform plans, you may be eligible to change plans right now.

Call us to find out.

CWS SEP 003 NF 032015